Diwalli In Trinidad and Tobago

Now being a pure trini I was curious what foreigners thought about our up coming Hindu festival Diwali and honestly I'm slightly ho...



Now being a pure trini I was curious what foreigners thought about our up coming Hindu festival Diwali and honestly I'm slightly horrified at the description they gave. Yes I understand that that most foreigners don't know the right terms and such but still! Give a little more respect man!

This year I have decided that I'll finally write my own account of this glorious festival and share some light about the true happens that takes place. Now I'm not Hindu so I won't go into detail about the spiritual side of the festival in fear that I get something wrong but I will share some pictures, food, and even clothes that the Hindus wear at such a festival.

Diwali is also known as the " Festival of Light. " Before this day arrive most Hindus clean out there homes, paint a new coat on their walls maybe and fast. (almost the same as what most people do at Christmas right? except the fasting )
They also prepare by the "Busting of bamboo." They do this so on the actual night of Diwali they can place small clay pots known as "diyas"(Now excuse me if I spell anything wrong these words are hard to spell alright!) onto the bended bamboo which lights up their homes. The scene somewhat looks Christmas lights except that their are no reds and greens but instead a nice quiet glow from the fire.
On the night of Diwali they also put on their best traditional Indian wear,food is prepared before hand and before any celebrations start they do their prayers. Usually ( I've noticed ) they make sure to do their prayers before any of their non Hindu guests arrive.

After the lighting of diyas fireworks usually follows and the sky is lit up by beautiful breathtaking explosions of colours that expand and fulls the sky.
They then send you home with little bags of Indian sweets and treats that most of us enjoy.








If you're thinking of experiencing Trinidad's Festival of Light Diwali I strongly suggest you come with your belly empty. You will have a lovely time.

                                                                                             -Cutiestare


You Might Also Like

0 comments

So what did you think about this post? Leave your thoughts below


|Let's Connect|

















Flag Counter